The ketogenic diet developed at the beginning of the last century. It is used to treat people with epileptic seizures. Modern medicine focuses on these diets for a completely different reason.
According to recent studies, it has been found to be very effective in controlling blood sugar levels in diabetic patients. However, there is no data on the results of studies for more than 3 years, so the use of these diets for a longer time is debatable.
The basic principle of the diet these
Diet includes a minimum intake of carbohydrates, which provide the body with short-term energy. Once a person feels his lack, he will look for an alternative to him - ketones.
Instead of glycolysis, which helps break down carbohydrates, the mechanism of lipolysis is activated - the breakdown of fats. Thus, in order to survive without carbohydrates, the body will enter a ketotic state.
Do not confuse ketosis and ketoacidosis - they are two different concepts. The latter is a violation of acid-base balance, leading to serious complications and even death.
The basis of this plan is the high fat content in the diet - 65-80% of feces per day, protein is 15-20% and carbohydrates are reduced to 5-15%. It turns out that carbohydrates can be consumed per day no more than 20-50 grams, while outside of these diet, a person consumes about 250 grams per day.
Effectiveness and safety of diet for type 2 diabetes
Since these diets are the best way to control blood sugar, many experts support a ketogenic approach to treating type 2 diabetes.
Research conducted throughout the year revealed the following:
- In type 2 diabetics, this diet leads to the fact that glycated hemoglobin is reduced, along with this, weight is reduced and the lipid profile is improved. All of this helps to keep glucose levels under control, as well as reduce the amount of antihyperglycemic drugs. The potential for side effects means that it may not be recommended for everyone with type 2 diabetes. Consultation with a physician is required.
- These diets have many limitations, so it is poor in vitamins, fiber and trace elements. Therefore, if necessary, you should take vitamins and add dietary fiber to the diet.
- Since these diets have a strong diuretic effect, you should drink more fluids.
- These diets for type 2 diabetes should be monitored by a healthcare professional.
What they eat in a ketogenic diet
List of foods included in the diet:
- proteins, fats and oils- meat, seafood, nuts, vegetable oils;
- vegetables- frozen or fresh does not matter, however, preference should be given to those vegetables that do not grow in the ground but on its surface;
- dairy products- almost all with a high fat concentration, strong cheeses are also recommended - they have fewer carbohydrates;
- seeds and nuts- fatty nuts are recommended - nuts, almonds, cashews, peanuts, hazelnuts;
- drink- most of the drinking regimen should be pure water, you can fill it with lemon juice, the use of stevia is also allowed.
This is a short list of what can be consumed, consult a specialist for more details.
Prohibited products include:
- starchy foods- potatoes, rice, bread;
- sugar- sweets, ice cream, baked goods;
- pasta and cereals;
- sweet drinks.
it is undesirable to exceed the allowed norm of protein, its excess is converted into glucose, which disrupts the process of transition to a state of ketosis.
What sugar should be in a diet these
A ketogenic diet inevitably leads to a decrease in blood glucose concentration. This is very good for diabetics.
However, a sharp drop in glucose can have serious consequences, so cutting out carbs should be done step by step.
To prevent the development of hypoglycemia, sugar should be measured systematically. Normally, it varies from 4. 7 to 4. 9 on an empty stomach. Diabetics tend to have higher levels. In a keto diet, sugar fluctuates around 6 mmol / L.
What the search says
The effects of these diets on blood sugar have been researched many times and the results have always been positive. Patients shed those extra pounds and were able to better control their glucose levels.
In 2017, a study was conducted in New York on the effects of diet keto on diabetes. For 32 weeks, patients adhered to this type of diet and after being canceled by specialists, they lost weight successfully and their sugar was more stable.
I must also say that scientists recognize the benefits of a vegan diet, it can perfectly replace these, but it has its nuances.
Atkins Diet for Diabetes
These are diet analogues, they have similar principles. Examples are the Dukan diet, Robert Atkins, the Kremlin. It is the Atkins diet that is most often confused with the ketogenic principle of nutrition. But at the same time, there is virtually no similarity between keto and the Atkins diet.
Differences between the Atkins diet and these
Atkins developed his nutritional principle for weight loss, not for diabetics to control blood sugar. In these diets, the amount of protein and carbohydrates is reduced by unsaturated fats. By observing the Atkins diet, protein can be consumed without restrictions. Moreover, the Atkins diet differs from these also in the frequency of food intake. Atkins recommends five meals a day, these assumes 2-3 meals a day.
Potential Diet Risks These Diabetics
When the body receives energy not from carbohydrates but from fats, there is a sharp release of ketone bodies. The main potential risk of a ketone diet for a diabetic is the possibility of developing diabetic ketoacidosis, which occurs due to lack of insulin in the blood.
Symptoms of Diabetic Ketoacidosis:
- increased sugar concentration;
- frequent urge to urinate;
- dry mouth;
- fruit flavor in the mouth.
Therefore, even in a ketogenic diet, it is necessary to constantly monitor blood sugar levels and periodically check the concentration of ketone bodies.
Hunger is absolutely contraindicated for diabetics, so they can follow any diet only with a doctor's permission.
Balancing your diet These and sugar levels
The ketogenic diet has great potential for lowering blood glucose levels. Lack of carbohydrates in the diet prevents its accumulation and changes in blood sugar concentration. The doctor must calculate the required amount of carbohydrates, each case is individual. If the patient has a high blood glucose, he needs to limit his intake of carbohydrate foods. In this case, the amount of fat in the diet increases.
This diet is a great help for diabetics, especially those who have difficulty regulating sugar levels. Of course, it is not promising to treat pathology with this diet, by observing it, you can reduce the number of medications, but you will hardly be able to refuse insulin injections.